Wednesday, September 2, 2009

Scrumptious muffins and a new favorite ingredient

I don't usually follow recipes. I know flavors enough to know what goes well with certain things, and I know what tastes I prefer. Today I divulged in my culinary craftiness and made my favorite salsa concoction and banana muffins with chocolate chips AND a new favorite ingredient: cinnamon chips. They are divine. If you can find them in your local grocery store, I strongly recommend using them. Hershey makes them so there's a good chance you can find them.
Well, I am a strong advocate for sharing good things with others. So, on to the recipe:

Banana Chocolate/Cinnamon Chip Muffins
3 very ripe bananas
1/2 to 3/4 cup sugar (the more ripe the banana, the less sugar you'll need. Also, I used Splenda)
1 large egg
1/2 cup applesauce
1 tsp vanilla
1 cup all purpose flour
1/2 cup whole wheat flour
1 tsp salt
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/2 cup dark chocolate chips
1/2 cup cinnamon chips
(or more chips if you fancy!)

Preheat oven to 350.
In a good-sized mixing bowl, mix and mash bananas, applesauce, sugar, and vanilla until well blended. Beat in egg to mixture. Gradually mix in dry ingredients and chips until well mixed. Place in a greased muffin pan (any muffin pan will do, I used a jumbo one). I sprinkled some quick oats on top. Bake for 30-45 min (if using a mini muffin pan, check earlier; they may be quicker). Check with a toothpick to see if they are done (although you may get chip residue on it). Enjoy!

1 comment: