Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Our current CoMo lives...

We are at last beginning to settle into our new apartment in Columbia. It's been a long and busy month, but we are already beginning to see the rewards. Our new apartment is comfy, smaller than the last, but definitely more homey. We are very thankful to have it. So far, living in Columbia has felt very natural. We definitely have Karis, our church, to thank for a lot of this. They have set before us such a Biblical vision, that it's hard to forget our purpose in what we are doing here. They are really good at getting us involved, and that's good, because my shyness sometimes keeps me from this.

We are getting adjusted to the work situation. We have been blessed with bike riding friends that don't need their car, so Caleb has been borrowing it to go to Moberly for work. It's a station wagon, so it has also helped in bringing a handful of carloads of belongings to our new place. I have been working at Walmart still, as I've transferred to the one here. I'm still not a huge fan of the company, but I will say that this store is a million times better than the last. I say this because the management is awesome. They seem to really care and will go out of their way to help and accommodate their employees--something the Moberly Walmart never seemed to do. In fact, the manager who transfered me told me that when he called them to do the transfer, they were incredibly uncooperative and wouldn't take his calls and wouldn't give him information. He ended up calling me directly after a few failed attempts at working with them and asked if I'd like the job. He has since been amazingly helpful, offering me as many hours as I need, and consistently too, and not stepping out of the time frame of my availability. He is also transferring me back to the deli (as I'm in frozen/dairy) with these aspects in mind too. This is great because I need the assurance of a steady paycheck and also appropriate availability for my other job. I am also working for a company called HomeInstead, which is non-medical senior care. Right now I have a wonderful client who I get to visit, clean, cook, transport, etc., along with ensuring his safety and stability (as he is a wobbly walker, and usually stays in his wheelchair). We've been watching old westerns together and talking about the good ol' days. It's been so fun and I'm so thankful that since I had to have a second job for extra income it's one that is so rewarding.

The free time that I can find (this past week I worked about 55 hours) I try to spend with my husband, of course, and also friends, and being involved with Karis. Yesterday was especially fun. After spending time with my client and running over to Moberly to get a carload of stuff, Caleb and I joined up with our c-group (our Bible study group, the "c" is for community) for a project that has been ongoing since the beginning of May. We've been going to a neighborhood park, bringing hotdogs and other food and kickballs and crafts, and hanging out with the hopes of reaching out to the neighborhood kids. It's been so fun and I've been loving getting to know the kids and their families. The Lord has been good to us and I know he's bringing them back every time we do it. There's consistently about 15 of them, but sometimes more show up. And it's been really good for the c-group as well, as we come together with purpose and focus, with mission in mind. And although, I don't know that my kickball skills have improved any, my bouncy-ball volleyball just might be.

After hanging out with the kids, Caleb and I were incredibly sweaty and stinky, especially since we were already this way from moving things to the apartment. Our apartment has a small pool that not many seem to use, so we decided to go for a swim to cool us down. When we got there there happened to be a few people our age (or a little older) cooling down as well.. We got to talking to them. Two of them, Angela and Mike, live at the complex, and one, Ian, lived a block away. They were all really friendly and funny and I'm so glad that we got to meet them. After asking what their hobbies were, Angela said that they are all interested in roller derby. She has been doing it since October and she's just above "beginner" status, but she loves it. She's invited me to join the beginner group, which actually sounds like a ton of fun. So, you never know, I may be on a roller derby team in the future...

Anyway, that is what has been going on lately in our lives. I'm pretty excited to see all that God is doing and the opportunities he's presenting us with.

No comments:

Post a Comment